Thursday, December 24, 2009

We have arrived!



It started out rough in passport control (which I was warned about but didn't believe). My passport also put me at a disadvantage as several years ago I visited Nepal. I thought of my Nepalese visa was a bit of a lark, the entry stamp has the sign of the God Vishnu on it, which looks exactly like a Jewish star. The exit stamp has a well-recognized sign of Hindu prosperity, the swastika. Nerves arouse as the questions came, do you speak Hebrew? What is your Hebrew Name? Do you know anyone in Israel? When was your Bat Mitzvah? How do you celebrate Hanukkah? Oh well, I’ll call it a right of passage.

11 hours and several in-flight Harry Potter films later we arrive to meet our tour guide. The photo is a view from the back of the bus at 7:30 PM. Our guide Raya is very intelligent and entertaining so we are in for a real treat. We got to really enjoy the highway from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem as we sat in a good amount of Christmas Eve traffic but after checking to in the Mount Zion we all sat down for coffee and fruit and learned that tomorrow's wake up call is set for 5:30am so we can explore the city before shabbat. That means I'm off to bed, Layla Tov!

No comments:

Post a Comment